RULES OF BEHAVIOR / CONDUCT
The Bartow County Library System strives to provide an atmosphere that is conducive to the appropriate use of library services and resources. The public is required to comply with the library system use and behavior guidelines. All users and staff have the right to a safe and comfortable environment, as well as facilities and materials which are in good condition.
BEHAVIOR OR ACTIONS WHICH ARE CONSIDERED TO BE DISRUPTIVE OR UNSAFE ARE PROHIBITED ON LIBRARY PROPERTY. THESE MAY INCLUDE:
- Cellphone conversations in all service areas.
- Any loud, unreasonable, repetitive or disruptive noises created by persons, sound devices and other equipment.
- Engaging in disorderly conduct, fighting or challenging a fight, or using offensive language that is likely to provoke violence.
- Running in or around the library. Skateshoes are not allowed inside building.
- Playing on the elevator.
- Exhibiting offensive personal hygiene, failure to wear appropriate clothing and shoes or the failure to secure clothes with buttons, zippers or other devices.
- Bringing in large bundles or personal possessions (for example: items too large to fit under a study chair);
- Misusing or abusing furniture including placing your feet or legs on furniture. Feet must be on floor at all times.
- Bringing animals or pets into the library except service dogs or animals participating in library programs.
- Following a person around the library, staring at a person, or persistently asking a person questions.
- Distributing or posting printed material / literature that have not been approved by the library system.
- Soliciting money or items or services.
- Panhandling or loitering inside the library or in parking lot or on library grounds.
- Leaving children unattended who are under the age of twelve (12) or who require supervision.
- Leaving a child or young adult (up to the age of 17) on library property after closing time.
- Misuse of public restrooms. Restrooms are for library patron use only. Changing clothes and bathing in restrooms are not permitted.
- Carrying weapons of any type.
- Entering non-public areas such as staff workrooms, break room, offices, and storage areas.
- Skateboarding, rollerblading, or bicycling in the parking lot, garden or around the perimeter of the library building at all times.
- Bicycles are to be parked in the bike racks provided.
- Certain acts involving computer fraud or abuse of library system network computers or display of obscene materials on computer equipment (covered under the Georgia Computer Services Protection Act and punishable by fine, imprisonment or both).
- Library materials must be properly checked. Certain materials, such as reference items, may not be removed from the library. Willful concealment and/or unauthorized removal of library property are violations of Georgia law. (O.C.G.A. 20-5-54)
- Bringing food or beverages into the library (permitted in the community wing only). Intoxication and/or use of tobacco, e-cigarettes, alcohol or illegal substances. (GA Code 16-12-2, 16-11-41).
- Damage, destruction, theft or improper use of library property or facilities, including tampering with fire alarms. (O.C.G.A 20-5-52).
The library reserves the right to inspect all bags, briefcases, backpacks, containers, books and any similar items. Patrons should return to the desk if alarm sounds when exiting the library.
The library reserves the right to require anyone violating these rules of conduct to leave the library. The library may withdraw permission to re-enter library facilities for serious or repeated misconduct.
Communication of threats, physical violence or sexual misconduct (indecent exposure, unwelcome touching, or sexual harassment toward staff or patrons) will result in permanent exclusion from the library and notification of law enforcement authorities.
Engaging in any other illegal acts or conduct in violation of federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation will result in notification of law enforcement authorities.
Any person who disregards a request by a staff member and/or security personnel to leave the building will be immediately reported to the local law enforcement agency.